Friday, November 16, 2007

Rudy on Judges

I've been asked by many of my more conservative friends why I support Rudy so strongly. And I always tell them how much I admire him for turning around NYC and his leadership on 9/11. Essentially, his experience and electability simply trump the other candidates in the field. But then they'll ask, "Aren't you concerned about his social views?" I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. There is no question I have a much more conservative outlook on social issues than Rudy's personal views. Yet, we should never forget that these issues will ultimately be decided by the courts, and while I always had a warm spot for Rudy, he got my backing for president after choosing former U.S. Solicitor General Ted Olson, one of the top conservative legal minds in the country, to chair his Justice Advisory Committee.

Today, Rudy spoke at the Federalist Society's 2007 National Lawyers Convention. According to the AP, Rudy was the only presidential candidate to speak to the premier conservative and libertarian legal organization. So without further adieu, here's the best portion of his speech:
We need judges who embrace originalism, endeavor to determine what others meant when they wrote the words of our Constitution. Justices like Justice Scalia, Justice Thomas, Justice Alito, and Chief Justice Roberts. That would be my model.
I have no doubt that he'll keep his word on this. And so, I tell my friends, "If he's promising conservative judges, then he's with me on the social issues 100%."

No comments: